Written by Staff Writer at CNN Headline News, Isaac Harrison
Queen Elizabeth II is 92 years old. She has been on the throne for 67 years, since she took over the position on the death of her father King George VI in 1952.
Her reign has been marked by important milestones in the lives of her subjects, including the creation of a Diamond Jubilee year, the dissolution of the first British Commonwealth and the founding of the Commonwealth Games in Australia in 1994.
“She’s well known to the people and she’s much loved,” said Professor Ken McCallum of the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama. “There’s a great affection for the monarchy and for the role the Queen plays in maintaining stability in the United Kingdom.”
CNN has compiled a collection of some of her best known qualities that reflect her devotion to her subjects.
1 / 17 – “At 8:30am on the second Tuesday of January, she will leave her home in the royal residence in London, Kensington Palace, and head to the main gate of the Palace of Holyroodhouse to resume her duties as Defender of the Faith,” explained the British government in 2017. (A visit to her father’s Scottish country estate is listed as a prime example of her job as Defender of the Faith.) Credit: Andrew Matthews/PA via AP)
Richard Ford , Professor of Modern English Literature at the University of East Anglia and editor of a number of academic journals, said that while it is “old hat” to talk about her age, what we mean when we talk about her longevity is still hugely significant.
“The Queen is 93 years old. She’s been in power for 50 years and has an approval rating of over 90% (according to polling by YouGov). How many people her age can say that? How many people her age are still as popular, credible, and trusted with people? There are not many. We need a shock,” he said.
CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL GALLERY
2. She has 10 children, 11 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
2. Her family is tight-knit, and has lived around the world during her reign. Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh share an eight-bedroom property in the Surrey countryside, which they purchased in 2000, but the two siblings Charles and Anne — heir apparent, Prince Charles — still reside in London. Their sister Princess Anne lives in Oxfordshire.
3. The Queen has carried out 5,296 solo engagements
3. The Queen never asks or accepts a formal invitation from a foreign leader for any official visits and receptions
4. She has held 112 state occasions. But several have required her to partake in events with the Duke of Edinburgh or her son and Prince Charles. She did not attend when Her Majesty opened the embassy of the Sultan of Brunei in London in 1981, but the Prime Minister’s wife was there in her place.
5. She has performed her duties this year while on the throne. She broke the record for becoming the longest-reigning British monarch in April.